Monday, May 19, 2014

12-18 May

I created a “Scout Test Frenzy” this week. I gave the scouts an “ultimatum” today : They have to complete the scout tests in the progressive badge system latest by end of this week as I will be going down to BSA to submit their test sheets by the following week.

It worked !! Many of the keen scouts tried so hard to approach their respective scout masters to “clear” their tests.

It is a blessing in disguise that the scouts are out of the school “house system” so that they can concentrate on the scout program. All RHSS students, except scouts, were allotted a house and many of the school activities have their activities conducted in the “house system”.

As the rest of the RHSS students prepared for the Cultural Dance Competition scheduled on 17 May, the scouts focused their attention on completing their scout tests.

It was very encouraging for me and the 4 scout masters to hear how the scouts  bonded and enjoyed themselves during the camp. Sonam Gyeltshen, the scout troop leader represented the group to share some of the scouts’ reflection during one morning assembly. Some of them were scouts for a long 10 years but they have yet attained even a Kuengao Badge (level 1). It was great to see the scouting spirit rekindled in them again.

I kept myself occupied with doing up the school notice board this week. It was the next project I embarked on. I became really good at chasing after teachers and students for their photos. It should be ready before the parent-teacher meeting on 24 May.

3 more weeks and I will be back to Singapore. I missed mum a lot, especially when it was the Mother’s day weekend. Will make up for her when I am back.

Now it is high time for me to see the HODs again, after the unit test. I really hope I can get some “system” or “structure” up before I leave. I was so glad when Dr Wang talked about setting a higher bar for the students during the staff meeting today. He set the stage for tomorrow’s HOD’s meeting.

This week was the cultural dance week. Wherever I went, I could see the kids practising for their dance.  There were so many talents in RHSS.

I decided I should support the cultural event on Saturday and go to Paro only after the event.

The kids put up a good show on Saturday morning. Together with Namgay, Pasang and Anne, we set off for Paro at about 2 pm. We reached Paro town at about 3 pm, settled ourselves in one really comfortable hotel called Hotel Sonam Trophel. We fell in love with this beautiful town immediately. It is not too city-like and it is definitely quieter here. Anne was considering shifting her “base” now.

We met Mr Chogyal and his wife for dinner and we had a great time catching up with one another. As usual, I am the chatty one and Anne the quieter one.

We set off for Taktsang early next morning. We didn’t believe Mr Chogyal when he told me that he took only 45 minutes to go up the mountain. I told him for Singaporeans like us, we may take 3 hours.

True enough, Anne and Pasang took about 3.5 hour, while me and Namgay clocked a comfortable timing of 2 hours. It was very kind of Pasang and Namgay to take turn accompanying Anne during the whole journey. For a person like Anne who doesn’t exercise often, it was a great feat for her. Another surprise awaited her at the summit : She met Mdm Vivi, the Thimphu Primary School Principal. It was sheer coincidence that Mdm Vivi came to Taktsang on the same weekend.

The place was indeed very scenic. As 1 saying goes, if you climb up Taktsang 3xs in a row, you will reach the “heaven”. I wouldn’t give a second thought about it though. Once is enough for me.

I noticed many Bhutanese people have a very bad habit of skipping proper meals and choose to eat junk food and soft drinks.  Namgay and Pasang are 2 typical examples. I advised them against it and told them of the harmful effect the junk food have on their bodies. I could see the toll the junk food had upon them while they were climbing up Taktsang. It was quite alarming to hear so many young people having kidney failure and desperately asking for kidney donors over the TV news. Poor diet does contribute to poor health.

We reached Thimphu at about 6 pm and felt very much accomplished. One week had passed and we will all have to get ready for the next week ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment