Monday, March 24, 2014

9-14 March

9-14 March 2014
 
It had been a good week since I reached Bhutan. A very beautiful country with many  warm people around me. I was blessed with a big house, well-facilitated with kitchenware and a TV set.

My house is situated almost at the top of the hill, within walking distance from Rinchen Higher Secondary School, but not too near the town.  My initial thought of buying a bicycle for easy commute is a bad idea because I will have to pant my way up to the hill before I reach my place.
 
There are also a group of 14 Thai teachers attached to the school during this period. They are doing a 2 months English Programme with the teachers in the school. We have the opportunity to go to Punakha, a town which is 3 hours drive from Thimpu, to watch the annual Masked Dance Festival together.

The Masked Dance Festival has a special significance to the Bhutanese. It commemorates the founder who built the traditional building, Dzong. The second Dzong was built in Punakha and the locals celebrated the festival for a period of seven days. Till this day, all the official buildings are Dzong buildings.

Rinchen Higher Secondary School is situated high up the mountain. There is no more settlements beyond the school. The Principal is supported by 3 assistant principals, 6 HODs, 34 staff. The school operates on 5.5 days work week and from the school calendar, I can see the school is filled with many activities.

During the week, I learned to do things that I have often taken for granted. I learned to “tether” my phone with my computer so that I can send attachments and updates to my friends and family. I learned to wash my clothing manually since I do not have a washing machine. I learned to be creative in my cooking : how to avoid eating maggie noodle for all my meals. I learned to fix up the leaking of the pipe at the washing basin area. I learned to use we-chat to video call my mum and the list goes on.

Plastic bag is a “rare” commodity in Bhutan. Except for the vegetables and fruits, the stores use paper bags and cardboards to contain the items. They are strong advocates for environment conservation. 

The rubbish truck only came on specific day and time. Once the familiar music is played, the locals will come out of their houses to “unload” the rubbish into the truck. I have seen this being practiced by the Taiwanese as well.

To make sure I do not miss the truck, I came out of my house and waited at the main road 10 minutes before the scheduled time. Missing the truck means I will have to keep my rubbish for a few more days.  

I am glad I have settled down and will be going to school next Monday. I look forward to meeting the staff and students soon. I am glad I will be meeting Anne, another Singaporean friend working in Thimpu Primary School tomorrow.

It is indeed a blessing to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment